At the re-dedication of St Mary’s RC Church, Mucurapo on Sunday, October 20, Archbishop Jason Gordon placed first class relics of Sts Narcisa de Jesús Martillo-Morán of Ecuador and martyr Jose Sanchez Del Rio, of Mexico beneath the altar.
The relics were received through the Apostolic Nunciature in Trinidad and Tobago
St Narcisa, born October 29, 1832 was the daughter of farmers. Her parents died when she was a child and she moved to Guayaquil, Ecuador where for the next 15 years she worked as a seamstress to support her younger siblings. She lived a single life, helping those poorer than herself when she could and spending her time in prayer. In 1868, she moved to Lima, Peru where she worked in a Convent of Dominican nuns. She never took vows but lived austerely.